- Hours and Map
- Admission Rates
- Tour the Plantation
- Adult Group Tours
- Schools & Education
- Community Outreach
Belle Meade Plantation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Full-Time historic Interpreter:
General Definition of Work:
The interpreter conducts tours of Belle Meade Plantation for the visiting public, interpreting the site’s buildings, landscape, and collections in an informative and engaging manner to help the visitor gain an understanding of the site’s history and significance. Period appropriate clothing will be provided by Belle Meade Plantation and is required for all onsite interpretation. Interpretive position is a full time position.
Duties of the Interpretive Staff at Belle Meade Plantation:
- Interpreters conduct tours through the house for visitors of all ages in a personable and knowledgeable manner and provide accurate information relevant to the major themes in the site’s history.
- Interpreters welcome the public, collect tickets, and direct visitors to facilities, exhibits, and interesting aspects of the site.
- Interpreters represent Belle Meade Plantation to visitors. They inform them of the site’s goals and programs.
- Interpreters assist in providing security for the site, buildings, and collections. They help ensure the safety of the visiting public and respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. They follow institutional procedures.
- Interpreters participate actively in training programs and other opportunities in order to expand knowledge of the site and strengthen interpretive skills. Guides are required to update or modify their tours as new or relevant information becomes available and for changing exhibitions.
- Interpreters assist with special programs, including but not limited to rentals and special events, often held on evenings and weekends.
- Interpreters lead guided educational tours and programs for school-age groups as well as special needs and mentally challenged groups.
- Interpreters assist in the office as needed when not giving tours.
- Interpreters attend scheduled staff meetings as requested as well as complete continued education training and requirements.
The interpreter must have excellent oral communication skills and demonstrated experience working with people. The interpreter must be articulate, reliable, and have a neat appearance. The interpreter must be able to assimilate information and impart it in a factual, coherent, and engaging manner, and must demonstrate initiative, leadership qualities, and flexibility. Degree in History or related field is a plus. Public speaking or teaching experience with an interest in history is ideal. Interpreters must be available as scheduled; including weekends and holidays.
Part-Time Sales Associate with The Shop at Belle Meade Plantation
Belle Meade Plantation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of Tennessee history and an equal opportunity employer. The Shop at Belle Meade Plantation is accepting applications for a part–time sales associate to work a minimum of 16-24 hours per week. The Sales Associate will be responsible for working with team members to promote positive community relations and revenue through the following functions:
- Clearly communicating in answering customer questions, phone calls, emails and shopping needs with a high level of politeness and respect.
- Giving directions and general knowledge about Nashville tourism.
- Taking a proactive approach to customer needs and assisting customers with product selection and suggestions.
- General retail sales and gift wrapping.
- Inventory functions: knowing, pricing, stocking and restocking inventory.
- Merchandising and store upkeep: dusting, polishing, straightening and arranging merchandise, fixtures and stock as needed.
- Online sale fulfilment using NCR, UPS, USPS and Counterpoint POS digital platforms
- Other duties as directed by the Store Manager or the Store Manager’s representative.
- Stand for extended periods of time (4-8 hrs)
- Lift 25 lbs. Comfortably
- Basic math and calculator skills
- Basic Microsoft Office, computer friendliness, typing and gmail skills
- Take a focused approach to customer service
- Follow directions and work well in a team setting
- MUST be available to work most weekends
- Work 16-32 hrs. per week between the hours of 8:30-6:00 on regular basis (may occasionally be required to work special events after hours). This position will like consist of working most weekends and one or more weekdays.
- To apply for this job, please reply with a resume, references and a brief (2-5 sentences) description of your favorite movie, television series, book or fictional character and explanation of why you enjoy the respective subject. No phone calls or “drop ins” please.
Upcoming Community Events and Happenings for All AgesDec2Satall-day Belle Meade Bookworms Online Dis...Belle Meade Bookworms Online Dis...Dec 2 all-dayBelle Meade Bookworms Online Discussion of Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay About the Belle Meade Bookworms The Belle Meade Bookworms Book Club is a Facebook group that offers historical fiction, classic literature and history[...]