- Hours and Map
- Admission Rates
- Tour the Plantation
- Adult Group Tours
- Schools & Education
- Community Outreach
Team Leader: Mr. Andy
Welcome Longfellow Team Members: Brendan, Hope, Keegan, Larsen, Michael, Trey and Virginia
GO TEAM LONGFELLOW!!
WAY TO GO – Team Longfellow – We are the January 2017 winners of the Golden Pony!
Let’s keep it going as this is the first time Team Longfellow has ever won the Golden Pony! Great job everyone!
LONGFELLOW’S LEDGER – A News Update from Mr. Andy:
A note from Mr. Andy:
Hi fellows, my name is Mr. Andy, and I am your team leader this year. I have worked at Belle Meade Plantation both part and full time for the past nine years and have enjoyed every minute. I am twenty nine years old and have lived in Nashville, TN my whole life, except for the four years I was away at college. I attended Roanoke College in Salem, Virginia and majored in History. I love to read and travel, as well as study about the American Civil War which is one of my main interests. One interesting fact is that when I was little, I was a BMP Junior Docent myself.
Longfellow’s Life: Our Team Mascot
One of America’s greatest thoroughbred racehorses of the 1870’s, Longfellow was born in 1867 at Nanura Stock farm in Midway, Kentucky to Uncle John Harper, his owner and trainer. When people asked Uncle John if he had named his prize colt after the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Uncle John replied, “Never heard much of that fellow, but that colt of mine’s got the longest legs of any feller I ever seen.” He was the son of the great sire Leamington and the brother to both Enquirer and Iroquois. In 1871, his great racing career began, winning thirteen races of sixteen starts and becoming known as the “King of the Turf”. He also became a leading sire in his own right before his death on November 5, 1893 at the age of twenty-six. His grave marker became one of the first two ever erected for a racehorse in Kentucky, with the great epitaph, “King of Races & King of Stallions.”
Junior Docent Trivia
Great job everyone from last month, you all did great. This month the questions will revolve around the Three Triple Crown Thoroughbred Horse Races:
- What is the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Horse Racing? Pick one of the 11 winners of the Triple Crown so far and tell me about their life and racing career in three paragraphs!
- What three states hold one of the Triple Crown Races?
- Our Team’s Horse Longfellow has a Triple Crown connection. One of his sires named The Bard won one of the Triple Crown Races. What was the race and in what year? Longfellow also sired two winners of the Kentucky Derby in 1883 and 1890, what were these horses names?
- How many years have they run the Kentucky Derby, The Preakness Stakes, and The Belmont Stakes and what is the distance of each race?
Please e-mail me your responses by Wednesday May 31, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions!
Junior Docent Trivia
The Lewis & Clark Expedition
- Who authorized the Expedition and what was the name given to the Expedition?
- How many members made up the expedition, pick one of the members, they may include the two leaders Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, and tell me briefly in a paragraph about their lives and what happened to them after the Expedition?
- How long did the Expedition take, and when did it start/was completed?
- Did anyone not survive the expedition, if so tell me a little about them and what caused their death?
The trivia this month is due on Friday June 30, 2017 by 5:00 p.m. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Team Longfellow Point Count:
Updated: June 12, 2017
Remember to check regularly for updates, reminders, trivia, and much more!
Upcoming Community Events and Happenings for All Ages
There are no upcoming events.